Application Deadline Extended!
As a supplement to its Spanish Language curriculum, the College of Arts and Humanities has developed a study abroad program for Undergraduate students at UCF, who are interested in Spanish language and culture.
This program offers students an excellent opportunity of full linguistic and cultural immersion to enhance Spanish language skills. Students with all levels of Spanish language skills may participate. Participants will be registering for 6 credit hours, which allow students spending time for interactions outside the classroom.
1. The Spanish Study Abroad Program will provide learners with the unique opportunity to study at the University of Alcalá de Henares, located 45 minutes of Madrid and the hometown of Miguel de Cervantes, where several important writers of the Spanish masterpieces studied, such as Pedro Calderón de la Barca and Tirso de Molina to name a few. The encounter of the past with the present will enhance their understanding of the contemporary Spanish society through a well-designed core curriculum and academic activities in one of the oldest and most prestigious universities of Spain.
2. The Spanish Study Abroad Program is an intensive immersion experience, which will prepare learners—of a large number of disciplines—with the integration of the Spanish academic curriculum (language, literature, and culture) to succeed in the twenty first century where internalization and globalization becomes an integral component of job market industry.
3. The Spanish Study Abroad Program will provide to the learners the opportunity to immerse themselves into an intensive academic environment and be part of the Spanish language and culture that is studied in the traditional classroom. In addition, the learners will gain exposure to a diversity of social values and intellectual atmospheres that will foster the development of new language and social skills to interact and function outside of their known environment. These components apply to both, Spanish speaking students and learners of a target language.
4. The Spanish Study Abroad Program will guide students to exam the differences in Spanish idiomatic expressions, accents, and cultural traits in order to avoid generalizations or universal interpretations about the Spanish language studied in the traditional classroom setup. In addition, they will able to exam--first hand--and recognize the differences within the Spanish culture, social values, religious views, and politics present in each society.
5. The Spanish Study Abroad Program offers the option of living with families and being part of their homely environment so both parties involved will learn from each other and will appreciate the cultural exchange.
The program will be hosted by the Instituto Franklin at the Universidad de Alcalá in Alcalá de Henares, Spain. All classes will be held in a traditional classroom setting for approximately 3-4 hours each day. Students will be evaluated through regular examinations and class participation.
Students will travel to Alcalá de Henares, Spain for one month of classes. Excursions include a trip to Madrid, as well as visits to sites in and around the Castilla-León area. While in Spain, students are expected to speak in Spanish, remain engaged in the program’s opportunities, and try new cultural experiences.
Students on this program should plan to arrive in Madrid, Spain by noon on the starting day of the program in order to be in country to transfer to the hotel. Please note, check flight schedules carefully before booking. To arrive by noon on the starting day of this program, fights must depart the USA the day before the start of the program. Students are encouraged not to purchase their flights until after the application deadline and the applicants have been informed that the program has met its minimum numbers.
Payment Breakdown based upon the minimum number of students:
Payment 1: $100 (non-refundable)
Payment 2: $1000
Payment 3: $1475
Payment 4: $1475
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
The following services are not included as part of the program fee:
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless a program expressly and specifically includes this), independent travel, or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. UCF, Office of International Studies will make reasonable efforts to notify students through reasonable means to inform the students to reserve their flights. Students should consult their travel agent about buying travel insurance to defray unanticipated costs in the event travel plans change. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students via Knights email when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.