Skip to content

Course Approvals

General Information on Coursework & Study Abroad 

The course selection and approval process is the most critical step in preparing to study abroad. In order to ensure students continue to make appropriate progress toward their academic degrees while abroad, all UCF students planning to study abroad should approach this process with great care. This process will vary depending on the type of program you pursue; UCF Faculty-Led, Exchange, or Partner Program.

Your UCF advisor will help you evaluate potential coursework to take while on a study abroad program. In preparing to explore your program options, you should meet with all relevant academic advisors for your major and minor to discuss how any potential coursework will count toward your degree here at UCF.

The UCF Abroad office will help you select a study abroad program that matches your curricular needs. If you are planning on participating in a semester or year-long program, it's especially important to have some academic flexibility with several "back-up" course options available.

Please note: If you are participating on a program for which a transcript will be delivered at the conclusion of the program, it is the student's responsibility to insure that a sealed academic record is forwarded as soon as possible after the completion of the program

Coursework on Partner Programs

Courses taken through partner programs will in general be treated as transfer courses and will be applied to the student's academic record upon successful completion of the program provided a valid academic credential is received in a sealed envelope from an accredited academic institution. It is vitally important that students speak with their academic advisor(s) when selecting programs for study abroad and when exploring potential coursework to be taken overseas. All program coursework MUST be pre-approved in order to obtain participation approval from the UCF Abroad office

In order to potentially receive credit for courses taken overseas students should;

  • Participate in an approved study abroad program
  • Have the appropriate course approval memos completed by relevant faculty stipulating course articulation directions
  • Complete and submit, along with all course approval memos, a signed UCF Transient Form to the UCF Abroad office
  • While abroad, immediately notify the UCF Abroad office of any changes to anticipated course enrollment so that course evaluations for any new substitutions can be considered
  • Ensure that an official transcript is sent to the UCF Abroad office in a timely and efficient manner at the conclusion of the program

Partner Programs- How to Proceed with Course Approvals

If you have selected a partner program to participate on you should proceed as follows to move forward with the approval process;

  1. Obtain a printout copy of your degree audit 
  2. Conduct research on your program(s) of interest to determine if the coursework you need is offered through that opportunity. 
    1. Compile course descriptions and/or syllabi for matching coursework at overseas institution. 
  3. Schedule an appointment with Oliver McSurley, Assistant Director for Study Abroad, by reaching out via email for further instructions and guidance-
  4. Print out the Course Approval Form for each course you wish to have evaluated. Visit the relevant colleges/departments to have the course approval documentation completed. 

  5. Once course approval forms have been completed, schedule an appointment with your major advisor to finalize completion of the Non-SUS Transient Form
  6. Submit all documentation to the UCF Abroad office .

Important Points for All Students

UCF Residency Requirement- UCF undergraduate degree guidelines stipulate a Residency Requirement ( which requires that all students complete 30 of their last 39 hours on campus at UCF. Please speak with your academic advisor if you are exploring studying abroad and think that this policy may impact you. 

Housing- If you are planning on studying abroad and have a signed housing agreement on file you will need to review the stipulations of that agreement to determine any potential ramifications studying abroad may have on your housing obligations. In the standard housing agreement, Article 41 Subsection E addresses students on study abroad programs.