|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Areas of Study:||Spanish||Housing Options:||Homestay|
|Language of Instruction:||Spanish||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Minimum Number of Credit Hours:||06||Academic Level:||Undergraduate|
|Program Type:||Short Term|
Spanish Language, Culture & Linguistics Summer in Alcalá: All Levels
Summer A 2017
Dates: May 30- June 28
Application deadline: February 9
Commitment deadline: February 16
As a supplement to its Spanish Language curriculum, the College of Arts and Humanities has developed a study abroad program for undergraduate students at UCF, who are interested in the culture, literature and linguistics of Spain and the Spanish language.
This program offers students an excellent opportunity to be immersed in the Spanish language and culture to increase proficiency on multiple levels: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. Participants will register for 6 credit hours.
The Spanish Study Abroad Program will provide learners with the unique opportunity to study at the University of Alcalá de Henares, located 45 minutes of Madrid and the hometown of Miguel de Cervantes, where several important writers of the Spanish masterpieces studied, such as Pedro Calderón de la Barca, Lope de Vega, and Tirso de Molina to name a few. The encounter of the past with the present will enhance their understanding of the contemporary Spanish society through a well-designed core curriculum and academic activities in one of the oldest and most prestigious universities of Spain.
- The Spanish Study Abroad Program will provide students with the unique opportunity to study at the University of Alcalá de Henares, located 45 minutes from Madrid and the hometown of Miguel de Cervantes, where several important writers of the Spanish masterpieces studied, such as Pedro Calderón de la Barca and Tirso de Molina to name a few. The encounter of the past with the present will enhance students’ understanding of the contemporary Spanish society through a well-designed core curriculum and academic activities in one of the oldest and most prestigious universities of Spain.
- The Spanish Study Abroad Program is an intensive immersion experience, which will prepare students—from a large number of disciplines and with the integration of the Spanish academic curriculum (language, literature, and culture) — to succeed in the twenty-first century where internalization and globalization become an integral component of job market industry.
- The Spanish Study Abroad Program will provide to the students the opportunity to immerse themselves into an intensive academic environment and be part of the Spanish language and culture that is studied in the traditional classroom. In addition, the students will gain exposure to a diversity of social values and intellectual atmospheres that will foster the development of new language and social skills to interact and function outside of their known environment. These components apply to both, Spanish speaking students and learners of a target language.
- The Spanish Study Abroad Program will guide students to:
- Compare and contrast college life in USA and Spain
- Explore cultural differences and similarities between Spain and USA
- Describe non-verbal cues for Spain
- Enhance knowledge of Spanish history, music, and art
- Recognize and describe cultural norms for the country
- Gain exposure to diverse social values and intellectual atmospheres
- Experience cultural immersion with excursions throughout Spain
- SPN 1121C- Elementary Spanish Language and Civilization II
- SPN 2210- Intermediate Spanish Language and Civiliation I
- SPN 3234- Advanced Directed Readings (Lecture)
- SPN 3300- Advanced Spanish Grammar and Composition (Lecture)
- SPN 3420- Spanish Composition (Lecture)
- SPN 3760- Advanced Spanish Oral Communication (Lecture)
- SPN 4410- Advanced Spanish Conversation (Lecture)
- SPN 4510- Spanish Civilization and Culture (Lecture)
- SPW 4604/4600- Cervantes (Lecture)
Payment 1: $1,000
Payment 2: $2,865
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Accommodation in homestay
- 3 meals a day
- Laundry once a week
- Guided tours
- Airport transportation
- UCF Abroad administrative fee ($350)
Deadline to apply is 02/01/2017
Deadline to commit to the program is 02/11/2017
Program Leader: Dr. Martha Garcia
Program Leader email: firstname.lastname@example.org