|Dates / Deadlines:|
Sahmuratli, Turkey (Kerkenes Dag)
May 8, 2017- June 8, 2017
Program Description:Come learn how to use the latest in geospatial and geophysical technologies within the ancient city at Kerkenes Dag in central Turkey! The archaeological project, directed by UCF’s own Dr. Scott Branting, is world-famous for its early adoption and its extensive and innovative use of technologies such as magnetometers, resistivity meters, survey-grade GPS systems, drones, 3D scanners, and agent-based simulations. Be a part of the geophysical field school and learn how to find buried walls and buildings dating to over 2,500 years ago, to use drones and total stations to monitor standing walls in the one of the city’s gates, to reconstruct in 3D what the ancient city looked like, or to explore the wealth of information contained within the project’s digital geospatial datasets. You might even find evidence that will guide excavations and help us to answer critical questions about this important ancient city and about cities around the world. For more information see the project website at: http://sciences.ucf.edu/anthropology/kerkenes
- Students will be able to use geophysical equipment (such as resistivity meters and magnetometers) and interpret results for archaeological prospection.
- Students will be able to use geospatial equipment and software (such as Total Stations, Drones, GIS software, 3D scanners) for archaeological research and cultural heritage recording.
- Students will better understand the utility of geophysical and geospatial tools within archaeology.
- Students will better understand Turkey, archaeology in Turkey, and the greater Middle East.
- ANG6958: Study Abroad
- ANG3955: Study Abroad
Program fee: $3790.00
Payment 1: $1,000
Payment 2: $2,790
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Room and board at excavation house (30 days)
- Local ground transportation
- UCF Study Abroad Administrative Fee which covers part of the following expenses ($350):
- costs associated with program development, such as staff time, curriculum assessment and development, evaluation of faculty credentials, program leader training, and site visits;
- coordination with vendors and host institutions abroad to ensure smooth and safe program implementation;
- program marketing materials and activities;
- administrative costs, such as shipping, toll phone calls, and equipment dedicated to study abroad programs;
- advising and orientation of outgoing students about academic, cultural, health and safety, logistics abroad, and travel concerns; and
- activities to comply with UCF policies and procedures, including international vendor requests for approval, development of vendor and inter-institutional agreements, program payment requests, travel vouchers, payment tracking, and reconciliation of program revenue and expenses.
- UCF Tuition
- Personal travel not associated with the program
- Flight booking
- Currency exchange fees
- Additional meals not listed above
- Passport and visa fees
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless a program expressly and specifically includes this), independent travel, or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. The UCF Abroad Office will make reasonable efforts to notify students through reasonable means to inform the students to reserve their flights. Students should consult their travel agent about buying travel insurance to defray unanticipated costs in the event travel plans change. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students via Knights email when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.
Program Leader: Dr. Scott Branting
Program Leader email: email@example.com