Skip to content

Incoming Exchange FAQs

Incoming Exchange FAQs

Prospective Exchange Students:

I am a US Citizen, am I able to do an exchange semester at UCF?

- Prospective exchange students that are US Citizens are reviewed on a case by case basis. Generally, if you are a US Citizen that has no history of studying at the collegiate level in the United States, you will be permitted to study at UCF.

What classes are available at UCF?

- Availability of classes vary from semester to semester, but you can check the current course offerings by going to and using the “Class Search” page on the quicklinks bar or the “Course Catalog” page on the quicklinks bar.

Is on-campus housing available at UCF?

- Currently, securing housing on campus at the main campus is very rare. There is some  housing generally available at the UCF Downtown campus, the Rosen campus (Rosen is exclusive for hospitality students), or off-campus. We will provide information off-campus.locations.

A course I want to take at UCF has pre-requisites, will I be able to take the course?

- Your transcript will be reviewed by the college that the course you want to take falls under, if there is a course equivalent to the pre-requisite on your transcript, you can be approved to take the course.

Can I take courses outside of my major?

- During the application process, you and your academic advisor will fill out a registration worksheet that will determine courses that both of you agree on, these courses can be outside of your major.

As an exchange student am I guaranteed a spot in all the classes I choose to take at UCF?

- Enrollment in any given class is not a guarantee. Enrollment is dependent on pre-requisites, class capacity, and scheduling conflicts.

Do I pay UCF tuition?

- If your home university has a reciprocal exchange agreement with UCF, you will be paying your home university your tuition fees. The only required fees from exchange students is a $50 international student fee and any housing fees (if applicable).

Can I take online courses?

- Yes, however all exchange students that are non-US citizens must take a certain amount of face-to-face credits to maintain their J-1 status: undergraduates must take at least 9 face-to-face credits, graduates must take at least 6 face-to-face credits.

Nominated/Accepted Exchange Students

What is my NID?

- Your Network ID (NID) is your secure sign-on for many systems at UCF, including myUCF and online courses. If you do not know your NID, you may find it using the NID Lookup Tool , enter your First Name, Last Name, and Email Address exactly as you did when you filled out your UCF Application (Step 1 in your welcome email).

What is my UCFID?

- Your UCFID is the number you will use to identify yourself when you call or visit offices across campus. Your UCFID is also required for many of the forms needed for your application. To obtain your UCF ID, go to myUCF, log in using your NID and password, click Student Self Service > Personal Information >UCF ID Info. This page will display your UCF ID, your NID and your UCF ID Card number, once you have been issued one.
- You may also hear people refer to your UCF ID as your “PID”, as this is what the number was called before.

What kind of Visa am I applying for?

-You are applying for a J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa.

Do I have to go to orientation?

UCF Global will provide information on orientation and their check in process. We do understand that you may not be able to make orientation due to extenuating circumstances, if this is the case please let us know in advance that you will not be able to make orientation.

I thought that my tuition was waived, why do I owe $10000+ on myUCF?

- Tuition waivers are processed during the second week of classes, once your tuition waiver is processed, the only balance left on your account will be the $50 international fee + any housing fees (if applicable).

How can I pay the fees (International Fee, Housing Fees, etc.) I owe to UCF?

- You can pay your fees through myUCF with a credit card (MasterCard, Discover, AmEx, VISA) or if you have an American bank account, e-check. Log onto myUCF, go to your Student Center and under “Finances” click on Due Charges/ePay.
- Alternatively, you can pay by wire transfer through FlyWire - click the link that says “Main Tuition Portal for Undergraduate & Graduate Degree-Seeking Students”:

Once I have my schedule, can I change it?

- You will have until the Friday of the first week of the semester to drop/swap/add any courses. Schedule changes are dependent on availability and approval of your home university and UCF.