Programs > Brochure
UCF in Ireland | Internship Enhancement Program (College of Education)
Limerick, Ireland (Outgoing Program)
|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Fall||2017||10/15/2017 **||Rolling Admission||11/25/2017||12/10/2017|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be notified via email upon acceptance into this program.
|Areas of Study:||Education||Housing Options:||On-Campus Housing|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||3.0|
|Visa Required:||No||Program Type:||Short Term|
UCF in Ireland: Internship Enhancement ProgramLimerick, Ireland
November 25- December 10
As a supplement to its Education curriculum, the College of Education and Human Performance has developed a study abroad program for UCF students interested in comparative educational methods in Limerick, Ireland. This program is an exciting opportunity for UCF undergraduate students to gain firsthand experience in comparative educational methods and differential instruction. The program functions as an extension of the Internship II course (ESE 4941 or ESE 4943). Students will first participate in a required 10 week internship course in the Florida school system, which will then be followed by an additional 2 week observation program with schools and community organizations in Limerick. Working in conjunction with Mary Immaculate College and faculty from the UCF College of Education and Human Performance, students will have the opportunity to observe and interact with very diverse classroom environments.
While abroad, participants will engage in observation and interaction within a diverse range of educational institutions in Limerick and the surrounding area. They also will complete a classroom project associated with their experience while engaging in community and cultural activities. This program is open to undergraduate students who, while in Ireland, will be expected to remain engaged in the program’s experiences and try new things.
Students on this program should plan to arrive in Limerick, Ireland on the starting day of the program. To arrive by the starting day of this program, flights must depart the USA the day before the start of the program. Students should not to purchase purchase their flights until they have been advised by Study Abroad to do so. Study Abroad advises that you book your flight directly with the airline.
Program Itinerary 2018 (Subject to Amendment)
- Day 1: Arrival at Shannon airport and transport to accommodations. Tour of Limerick’s Medieval Quarter, King John’s Castle, St. Mary’s Cathedral, and Hunt Museum. Welcome dinner included.
- Day 2: Day trip to County Clare. Visit to Lahinch, Cliffs of Moher, Doolin for lunch, Doolin Cave, the Burren including Portal Dolmen tomb. All program breakfasts included. Medieval Banquet for dinner.
- Day 3: Tour of MIC campus, welcome by the President, lecture on Education system in Ireland. Meeting with Curriculum Development Unit. Meeting with TED Project. Afternoon visit to local secondary school.
- Day 4: Visit to Moyross to schools and to Northside Learning Hub. Possible after school project work e.g. Friary in Moyross.
- Day 5: Visit to Our Lady of Lourdes Community Centre and Pre-school. Opportunity to work in various classes for the morning. Lunch in Sit'n'Sip Café (at student's expense). Afternoon visit to Southill Area Centre.
- Day 6: Visit to the Model School (Irish immersion elementary school) and to the Catherine McAuley Special Needs School. Afternoon lectures at MIC. Thursday cultural/social event.
- Day 7: Visit to St Michael's Protestant School and the Limerick Project School (multi-denominational). Happy Thanksgiving Day lunch with College President. Afternoon visit to Lough Gur heritage site. Thanksgiving lunch included.
- Day 8: Full day excursion: Visit to Galway or Kilkenny
- Day 9: Free time. Afternoon excursion to Killaloe, Co. Clare.
- Day 10: Visit to Dublin and possible meeting with Higher Education Authority of Ireland.
- Day 11: Visit to Adare in Co. Limerick to boys' school and girls' school and free time in the town to shop in the afternoon.
- Day 12: Visit to St Vincent Special Ed. School, lunch in Annacotty, visit to Blue Box Project.
- Day 13: Morning lectures at MIC then bus to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park for the afternoon.
- Day 14: Visit to Killarney to visit secondary school and then do Ring of Kerry in coach.
- Day 15: Departure for US
This program is an extension of the Internship II course (ESE 4941 or ESE 4943). Students do not enroll in additional credit.
- Acquire experience in differentiating instruction based on an assessment of student learning needs and recognition of individual differences in students.
- Learn to value diversity while respecting students’ cultural, linguistic, and familial backgrounds.
- Develop the ability to collaborate with the home, school, and larger community to foster communication and to support student learning and continuous improvement.
Pricing (based upon the minimum number of students)
Program Fee: $2,760 (subject to amendment)
Payment 1: TBD
Payment 2: TBD
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless a program expressly and specifically includes this), independent travel, or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. The UCF Abroad Office will make reasonable efforts to notify students through reasonable means to inform the students to reserve their flights. Students should consult their travel agent about buying travel insurance to defray unanticipated costs in the event travel plans change. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students via Knights email when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.
Deadline to apply for Fall 2017: 15 October 2017
See Education's website for additional details: http://education.ucf.edu/international/docs/InternationalInternship.pdf