UCF in Spain: Conversational Spanish in Nerja
Summer A 2018
May 20 - June 2, 2018
Program Committal Deadline is 9 February
No prerequisites, and all majors are welcome to apply.
As an enhancement to its Spanish Language curriculum, the College of Arts and Humanities has developed a study abroad program for students interested in a Spanish Language and Culture program in the quaint city of Nerja, Spain, which is located in southern Spain on the Mediterranean Sea.
This program offer students a unique opportunity for full linguistic and cultural immersion intended to develop their Spanish language skills. For this program, students have the opportunity of registering for SPN 3955 (prerequisite SPN 1121) OR IDS 3955 (no prerequisite). Spanish language courses are offered at all levels of proficiency from beginning to advanced; placement is determined by a grammar test and an oral interview.
The Spanish Language Program is hosted by the Escuela de Idiomas in Nerja, Spain. The language classes are taught by Escuela professors and the cultural activities are coordinated by Dr. Consuelo Stebbins. Language classes are held Mon-Fri, averaging 20 hours a week for two weeks. The cultural activities include a variety of seminars on the history and culture of Spain and visits to local sites.
Students arrive in Malaga, Spain on Sunday and are transported to their Residence Hall in Nerja. Classes start on Monday. To arrive on the starting day of this program, flights must depart the USA the day before the start of the program. Students should not purchase their flights until after the applicants have been informed by Study Abroad to do so. Study Abroad advises that you book your flight directly with the airline.
Participants stay in the beautiful city of Nerja, Spain for the two week program. While abroad, students attend classes during the day and participate in activities during the evening.
- Improve Spanish language skills in conversation, reading, and writing
- Explore cultural differences and similarities between Spain and USA
- Recognize appropriate use of language in different cultural contexts (formal, casual, generational)
- Enhance knowledge of Spanish culture and civilization
- Gain exposure to diverse social values
- Recognize and describe cultural norms for Spain
- Experience language and cultural immersion
Dr. Consuelo Stebbins (firstname.lastname@example.org
- SPN 3955 or IDS 3955 (3 credits)
*Please note that all participants must enroll in one of these courses and pay associated tuition to be a part of the program
Inclusions & Exclusions (subject to amendment)
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Accommodation: Fully furnished student housing that is conveniently located to Escuela de Idiomas Nerja. All rooms will have twin or single occupancy.
- Cultural Experiences / Excursions:
- Two-week program at Escuela de Idiomas Nerja consisting of 20 hours of class from Monday to Friday.
- Entrance fees and reservations are included for: Prehistoric Caves of Nerja, Spanish Cooking Class, Cinema and Flamenco Class.
- Excursion to Granada, including admission to The Alhambra.
- Daily breakfast to energize you for the day
- (13) lunch – OR – dinner meals in your choice of two nearby Spanish restaurants
- Transportation from and to the airport via private vehicle
- Transportation to all of the excursions, as outlined on the itinerary
- All gratuities and service charges for guides, drivers and servers
- UCF Abroad Administrative Fee
- UCF Travel Insurance Policy (more details to follow at pre-departure meeting)
The following are not included as part of the program fee:
Pricing (based upon the minimum number of students and subject to amendment)
- UCF Tuition
- Passport or visa expenses
- Personal or other miscellaneous expenses
- Meals other than those listed
- Currency exchange fees
Program Cost Disclaimer: T
Program fee: $2,325
Payment 1: $1,000 is due on February 28, 2018
Payment 2: $1,325 is due on March 30, 2018
he program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless otherwise noted), independent travel or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. Students should NOT
purchase airfare until they have been told to do so by the UCF Abroad Office. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.
Deadline to apply is 02/01/2018