Internships in Dublin, Ireland
May 31-July 28, 2018
The Office of Experiential Learning expects to provide an option for students interested in obtaining practical knowledge and experience outside the USA through the creation of an 8-week internship in Dublin, Ireland for credit at UCF.
These internships are an excellent opportunity for participants to gain real-life experience within intended career fields while learning and developing the skills needed to become successful professionals. The internship abroad brings new cultures and places to the student’s experience and provides the opportunity to develop new skills of cross-cultural communication and adaptation.
Prospective students will receive an internship based upon an evaluation of skills, interests, and professional goals with a company in Ireland. Students will be offered internships which directly reflect or relate to their own course of study to ensure personal and academic relevance. Internships are available in:
- Accountancy & Finance
- Business & Economics
- Historical & Cultural Organizations
- Information Technology & Multimedia
- Journalism & Media
- Legal & Justice Organizations
- Public Relations & Marketing
- Sports Management
Participants in this program will register for a 3 credit hour internship course at UCF. The specific course work will be administered through UCF Experiential Learning, unless your college or department requires direct supervision of your program. Students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 to participate in this program. This program is for junior and senior level students.
Students must submit a resume and statement of interest in order to be considered for this program. The statement should include why you want to participate in an internship in Ireland and what you hope to get out of the experience. Please send both documents as Word attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Students will be evaluated through a combination of hands-on experiential learning with the company and through assignments covering skills development, cultural experiences, reflection and a project. While in Ireland, students will be interning approximately 32 hours per week and will live in shared student apartments in the Dublin area.
Students on this program should plan to arrive in Dublin, Ireland, by the starting day of the program in order to be in country to transfer to the lodging. Check flight schedules carefully before booking. To arrive on the starting day of the program, flights must depart the USA the day before the start of the program. Students should not purchase their flights until they have been advised by Study Abroad to do so. Study Abroad advises that you book your flight directly with the airline.
- Acquire an international and global perspective on the individual’s own career choice.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of Irish culture and society as preparation to becoming a globally minded professional.
- Apply theory learned in other courses in a major-related internship and develop real-life skills and competencies needed to become a successful professional through experiential learning.
- Obtain and demonstrate advanced cross-cultural adaptation and communication skills.
- Compare and contrast the life/work experience in the USA and Ireland
(subject to amendment):
Program fee: $6,115
Payment 1: $1,000 due by 28 February
Payment 2: $5,115 due by 30 March
- Internships sourcing and final placement (8 weeks, plus 3 day orientation)
- Airport pickup
- On-site orientation
- Internship supervision
- Self-catered apartment-style housing (twin share)
- Internship related transport costs
- UCF Study Abroad Administrative Fee ($350, covering international medical insurance)
- Transatlantic airfare
- Passport and any required visa fees
- Optional excursions
- Personal expenses
- Independent travel and expenses
Deadline to apply is 02/01/2018
Deadline to commit to the program is 02/11/2018
Contact Oliver McSurley, Assistant Director for Study Abroad, at email@example.com