|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer C||2018||02/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||07/01/2018||07/29/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be notified via email upon acceptance into this program.
|Areas of Study:||German||Housing Options:||Student Housing|
|Language of Instruction:||English, German||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Minimum Number of Credit Hours:||06||Academic Level:||Undergraduate|
|Program Type:||Short Term|
July 1 - July 29, 2018
“Sprache und Kultur” at the SDI in Munich is the chosen foreign institution that offers a 4-week program for foreign students interested in German language and culture. Language classes take place in the morning (9:00 am – 12:15 pm). They include 20 classroom hours (45 minutes) per week on all levels (A1 – C1) and two excursions per week (mainly in the afternoon). Students will also take a second course with UCF professor, Randall Kloko. Students will be hosted in double room student apartments.
Students on this program should plan to arrive in Munich, Germany on the starting day of the program. To arrive on the starting day of this program, flights must depart the USA the day before the start of the program. Students should not purchase their flights until they have been advised by Study Abroad to do so. Study Abroad advises that you book your flight directly with the airline.
Program Leader: Professor Randall Kloko (email@example.com)
- GER 1120 Elementary German Language and Civilization I (4 credits)
- GER 1121 Elementary German Language and Civilization II (4 credits)
- GER 2200 Intermediate German I (3 credits)
- GER 2201 Intermediate German II (3 credits)
- GEW 3480 German Post-War Literature (3 credits)
- GER 3955 Study Abroad (3 credits)
- Students will be immersed in the language in the target country (Germany) in a way that is not possible to achieve at UCF – Language courses are taught totally in German, even for beginners.
- Students will be immersed in a cultural life-changing experience. They will live like Germans for 4 weeks, going to the stores, going to schools, going on the excursions and learning about the German/European lifestyle. The choice of the different excursions in the surrounding area of Munich will give students a broad opportunity to become more worldly individuals.
- Students will be taking a German Post-War literature class that will reinforce their literary and humanistic knowledge. This is a course that is not taught at UCF.
Inclusions & Exclusions (subject to amendment)
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Fully furnished student apartments that are conveniently located to SDI München. All rooms will have twin occupancy and kitchenette.
- Cultural Experiences / Excursions:
- Four-week program at Sprachen & Dolmetscher Institut München
- Language classes take place in the morning - 20 classroom hours per week.
- (2) Excursions per week, mainly in the afternoon. These entrance fees and reservations are included for tours: Munich city center, Nymphenburg Castle & Parks, Museum Quarter, Olympia Park/Tower, the castles of King Ludwig II, Town Museum Munich, Old Pinakothek, University Quarter & White Rose Museum, Dachau Concentration Camp, Kingdom Bavaria, and Deutsches Museum
- Guided bike tour on River Isar
- Day Trip to Chiemgau
- Day trip to Neuschwanstein, including castle admission and guided tour
- Transportation from the airport via private motor coach
- Private vehicles for tours, when listed in itinerary
- One month public transportation bus pass
- All gratuities and service charges for guides, drivers and servers
- UCF Abroad Administrative Fee
- UCF Travel Insurance Policy (more details to follow at pre-departure meeting)
The following are not included as part of the program fee:
- UCF Tuition
- Passport or visa expenses
- Personal or other miscellaneous expenses
- Meals other than those listed
- Currency exchange fees
- Transportation to the airport for departing flight
Pricing (based on minimum number of students and subject to amendment)
Program fee: $2,440
Payment 1: $1,000 is due on February 28, 2018
Payment 2: $1,440 is due on March 30, 2018
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless otherwise noted), independent travel or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. Students should NOT purchase airfare until they have been told to do so by the UCF Abroad Office. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.