UCF in Spain | Spanish Heritage Language Program in Nerja
Summer A 2018
Dates: May 20 - June 2, 2018
Program Committal Deadline is 9 February
No prerequisites, and all majors are welcome to apply.
The Spanish Heritage Language Program is intended for heritage speakers, who were raised in a home where Spanish was spoken. This program was designed to improve the Spanish language skills of heritage speakers and for students to learn and experience their cultural heritage. The Spanish Heritage program is housed at the Escuela de Idiomas in the lovely Mediterranean town of Nerja in southern Spain, close to historical cities such as Cordoba, Malaga, and Granada. Students visit the prehistoric caves of Nerja and can tour the picturesque town of Frigiliana in the mountains near Nerja. Students stay in a Moorish-Andalusia Residence Hall, located in the Old Quarter of the town and only minutes away from the school and beaches. The Residence Hall has an attractive terrace and swimming pool where you can enjoy views of the Mediterranean and mountains.
The Spanish Heritage Program offers $1,000 scholarships for native speakers of Spanish, regardless of their major. No prerequisites required to enroll in the program. Scholarships for the Spanish Heritage Program are part of a U.S. Department of Education grant to enhance the language skills of native speakers.
- Improve Spanish language skills in reading and writing
- Explore cultural differences and similarities between Spain and native culture
- Enhance knowledge of Spanish culture and civilization
- Gain exposure to diverse social values
- Recognize and describe cultural norms for Spain
- Experience cross cultural language and cultural norms
: Dr. Consuelo Stebbins (firstname.lastname@example.org
:SPN 3955 or LAS 4955 (3 credits)
*Please note that all participants must enroll in one of these courses and pay associated tuition to be a part of the program
: SPN 3955 | LAS 4955
Inclusions & Exclusions (subject to amendment)
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Accommodation: Fully furnished student housing that is conveniently located to Escuela de Idiomas Nerja. All rooms will have twin or single occupancy.
- Cultural Experiences / Excursions:
- Two-week program at Escuela de Idiomas Nerja consisting of 20 hours of class from Monday to Friday.
- Entrance fees and reservations are included for: Prehistoric Caves of Nerja, Spanish Cooking Class, Cinema and Flamenco Class.
- Excursion to Granada, including admission to The Alhambra.
- Daily breakfast to energize you for the day
- (13) lunch – OR – dinner meals in your choice of two nearby Spanish restaurants
- Transportation from and to the airport via private vehicle
- Transportation to all of the excursions, as outlined on the itinerary
- All gratuities and service charges for guides, drivers and servers
- UCF Abroad Administrative Fee
- UCF Travel Insurance Policy (more details to follow at pre-departure meeting)
The following are not included as part of the program fee:
Pricing (based upon the minimum number of students and subject to change)
- UCF Tuition
- Passport or visa expenses
- Personal or other miscellaneous expenses
- Meals other than those listed
- Currency exchange fees
Program fee: $2,325
Payment 1: $1,000 is due on February 28, 2018
Payment 2: $1,325 is due on March 30, 2018
Program Cost Disclaimer:
The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless otherwise noted), independent travel or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. Students should NOT
purchase airfare until they have been told to do so by the UCF Abroad Office. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.