|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Summer A||2018||02/01/2018 **||Rolling Admission||05/30/2018||06/09/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be notified via email upon acceptance into this program.
UCF in Taiwan: Asian Culture, Healthcare & Aging Society
Taipei, Taoyuan, and Taichung, Taiwan
May 30- June 9 2018
INFO SESSION - 9/28 @ 4:00-5:00pm; HPA I - 213 rm - Join our upcoming information session to learn more about the 2018 Taiwan Study Abroad Program. Help us spread the word and bring friends along. Register here to join: https://bit.ly/JoinTaiwan2018
2018 Taiwan Public Health Summer
Pre-trip class meetings in Orlando (late-March to mid-May, 2018)
followed by a 10-day exciting study tour of Taiwan!
Course DescriptionWith partners from Chang-Gung University of Science & Technology (CGUST), Chung-Shan Medical University (CSMU), Hsiang Shang Social Welfare Foundation (HSSWF), Ministry of Health & Welfare (MOHW) , as well as local communities, this integrated course will introduce the Asian culture, healthcare system, and aging issues in Taiwan. Discussions will also include lessons learned & challenges from its universal health insurance system; issues, policies, and resources related to the aging society, as well as observe community-based senior health programs in action. Students will explore how Asian culture / values, and lifestyles influence the health of individuals and communities in Taiwan. Potential site visits may include MOHW, long-term care facilities, senior homes / centers, night markets, & cultural sites.
Classes will consist of lectures, discussions, demonstrations, hands-on practices, site visits, and field experience. Guest lecturers will be drawn from partnering universities, government officials, culture experts, & community practitioners in Taiwan. UCF students will have opportunities to interact with TW faculty and students throughout this program.
"Like" us on our Facebook page to learn program updates and upcoming information sessions. www.facebook.com/TaiwanStudyAbroad.UCF
- Discuss the demographic trends of the aging population, the major health issues among older populations, and explain their implications for public health practice.
- Compare various types of aging services including community-based vs. facility-based services; and discuss how these programs are designed / delivered in different cultural context and system for older adults in the U.S. versus Taiwan.
- Analyze current strategies of health promotion and disease prevention, and reflect how these strategies were adapted in different cultural values or context.
- Discuss issues and challenges of Taiwan’s rapidly aging society on its healthcare system and the emerging long-term care policies.
Program Leader: Dr. Su-I Hou (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- HSA 4955 (3 credits)
- HSA 6958 (3 credits)
- PAF 7958 (3 credits)
Program fee: TBD for 2018 (2017 cost $2,182)
For details on what the program fee includes please see program Budget Sheet
Payment 1: TBD
Payment 2: TBD
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Airport pickup/drop-off
- Bus rental for the group during Taipei and Taichung Sites
- Bus rental to educational/cultural venues
- Shared hotel accommodations
- Meals during the Taipei and Taichung program
- Program materials
- Other costs- honorariums, local ground travel insurance, program entrance and facility fees, host institution administration and related fees
- UCF administrative fee ($350)
- Free day expenses
- Personal travel not associated with the program
- Currency exchange fees
- Incidentals/Passport and visa fees
- UCF tuition
Note: Space on the Taiwan program is very limited. You are STRONGLY recommended to apply and commit to the program early to secure your space.
In order to be accepted to the program, all applicants must meet with the faculty leader for a brief interview. Dr. Hou is available for walk-in interviews on Mondays and Tuesdays from 3:00-5:00 in HPA 1 Romm 217.
Early-bird application deadline- 12/01/2017
Early-bird program committal deadline- 12/11/2017
** A surprise Taiwan souvenir gift will be given to those who commit BEFORE the early-bird deadline in Dec., 2017
Standard application deadline- 02/01/2018
Standard committal deadline- 02/11/2018
Program Leader: Dr. Su-I Hou
Program Leader Contact: email@example.com