|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Term||Year||App Deadline||Decision Date||Start Date||End Date|
|Spring||2018||12/01/2017 **||Rolling Admission||03/10/2018||03/18/2018|
** Indicates rolling admission application process. Applicants will be notified via email upon acceptance into this program.
|Areas of Study:||Art, Art History, Culture, Government, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, Latin American Studies, Liberal Arts, Literature, Political Science, Spanish||Housing Options:||Homestay, Hotel|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Visa Required:||Yes||Minimum Number of Credit Hours:||03|
Havana, San Diego de los Baños, Viñales Cuba
March 10 - March 18, 2018
APPLICATION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL 1 DECEMBER!
Spend your Spring Break immersed in Cuban culture! In Spring 2018 the Department of Modern Languages & Literatures will offer UCF students the opportunity to participate in this exciting program to Cuba. This program is open to UCF students across all disciplines and would appeal particularly to students in History, Political Science, Latin American Studies, Spanish, Literature, Education, Art, Engineering and Music. Through this program students will gain awareness and appreciation of Cuban society, culture, and history through direct and unique experiences. Knowledge of Spanish is NOT a requirement for this program.
The Journey Cuba program and its outcomes will aid students in recognizing their own learning goals within the outcomes of the program coming to understand how the disparate parts of their education fit together into a coherent whole. Students will be able to map their individual journey through the curriculum and co-curriculum thereby creating a framework upon which to integrate their learning.
Students from a wide variety of disciplines will:
- Gain a richer comparative knowledge of pre- and post-revolutionary Cuba
- Explore the historical legacies that have created the dynamics and undercurrents between the United States and Cuba in the last half century
- Develop intercultural aptitude, which will result in the ability to adapt to unfamiliar surroundings and experience perspectives outside of their personal boundaries
- Investigate acute civic issues in Cuban society, such as sustainability, technology and human development (acce3 credits)
- SPN 3955 (3 credits)
Program Itinerary for 2018 (subject to amendment)
Program Leaders: Professor Anne Prucha (email@example.com) and Professor Kacie Tartt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Inclusions & Exclusions (subject to amendment)
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Accommodation: Local homestay accommodation with double or triple occupancy.
- Cultural Experiences / Excursions:
- Walking tour of Old Havana
- Entrance fees and reservations are included for: guided hike at Cave Palmarito, Tour of University of Havana, Masonic Museum, Revolution Museum, Finca Vigia
- Industry visits and Q&A, as listed on itinerary
- Daily breakfast to energize you for the day
- (8) Lunches are outlined on the itinerary
- Farwell dinner to end the program
- Round trip airfare from Orlando to Havana
- Visa expenses
- Transportation from and to the airport via private motor coach
- Transportation and guide service for tours and excursions, as listed on itinerary
- All gratuities and service charges for guides, drivers and servers
- UCF Abroad Administrative Fee
- UCF Travel Insurance Policy (more details to follow at pre-departure meeting)
- Airline fees:
- Any airline imposed baggage fees, please check website for details
- Airline seat assignment policies vary and may not be granted or may require an additional fee
- UCF Tuition
- Passport expenses
- Personal or other miscellaneous expenses
- Meals other than those listed
- Currency exchange fees
- Admission and entrance fees, as outlined in itinerary: Cigar factory visit, Healing Center in San Diego de los Baños and Tour of La Cabaña
Pricing (based on minimum number of students and subject to amendment)
Program fee: $3,415
Payment 1: $1,000 is due on February 28, 2018
Payment 2: $2,415 is due on March 30, 2018
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless otherwise noted), independent travel or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. Students should NOT purchase airfare until they have been told to do so by the UCF Abroad Office. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.
Application deadline is 12/1/2017
Program committal deadline is 12/8/2017
All program applicants need to be interviewed in order to be accepted. Please see below for the faculty leaders' available walk-in interview times.
- Professor Kacie Tartt (email@example.com): Mondays 9:00AM-2:00PM in CNH 550
- Professor Anne Prucha (firstname.lastname@example.org): Tuesday and Thursday 11:00AM-1:00PM in CNH 535