|Dates / Deadlines:|
|Areas of Study:||Art, Art History, Culture, Government, History, Interdisciplinary Studies, Latin American Studies, Liberal Arts, Literature, Political Science, Spanish||Housing Options:||Homestay, Hotel|
|Language of Instruction:||English||Minimum GPA:||2.5|
|Visa Required:||Yes||Minimum Number of Credit Hours:||01|
Havana, San Diego de los Baños, Viñales Cuba
March 10- March 18 (tentative)
Spend your Spring Break immersed in Cuban culture! In Spring 2018 the Department of Modern Languages & Literatures will offer UCF students the opportunity to participate in this exciting program to Cuba. This program is open to UCF students across all disciplines and would appeal particularly to students in History, Political Science, Latin American Studies, Spanish, Literature, Education, Art, Engineering and Music. Through this program students will gain awareness and appreciation of Cuban society, culture, and history through direct and unique experiences. Knowledge of Spanish is NOT a requirement for this program.
The Journey Cuba program and its outcomes will aid students in recognizing their own learning goals within the outcomes of the program coming to understand how the disparate parts of their education fit together into a coherent whole. Students will be able to map their individual journey through the curriculum and co-curriculum thereby creating a framework upon which to integrate their learning.
Students from a wide variety of disciplines will:
- Gain a richer comparative knowledge of pre- and post-revolutionary Cuba
- Explore the historical legacies that have created the dynamics and undercurrents between the United States and Cuba in the last half century
- Develop intercultural aptitude, which will result in the ability to adapt to unfamiliar surroundings and experience perspectives outside of their personal boundaries
- Investigate acute civic issues in Cuban society, such as sustainability, technology and human development (acce3 credits)
- Tour of Ernest Hemingway's Havana estate
- Walking tour of Old Havana
- Visits to the Plaza de la Revolución and the Revolution Museum
- Excursion to San Diego de los Baños to visit the local hot springs and interact with local/rural Cuban communities
- Free time to explore shopping and nightlife in Havana and environs
Program Leaders: Professor Anne Prucha (email@example.com) and Professor Kacie Tartt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Program fee: TBD for 2018 (2017 cost $3,175)
*Fee includes airfare, visa, transportation in country, all breakfasts, and some other meals.
Payment 1: TBD
Payment 2: TBD
The following services are included as part of the program fee:
- Flights and visa
- Local transportation
- Double occupancy accommodation
- Breakfast, two lunches and one dinner
- UCF Abroad administrative fee ($350)
Program Cost Disclaimer: The program cost does not cover UCF tuition, airfare (unless a program expressly and specifically includes this), independent travel, or personal expenses. Cost is approximate and may fluctuate due to changes in foreign currency or unforeseen circumstances. UCF reserves the right to alter or cancel the program at any time. In such cases, the university shall not be liable for airfare, transportation costs and/or any other costs incurred by the student. The UCF Abroad Office will make reasonable efforts to notify students through reasonable means to inform the students to reserve their flights. Students should consult their travel agent about buying travel insurance to defray unanticipated costs in the event travel plans change. UCF will make reasonable efforts to notify students via Knights email when any significant changes are being made to the program. It is entirely within UCF's discretion as to what changes are considered significant.